Внимание! Вторая дистанционная гимназическая викторина!
Четверг, 24 Сентября 2015 года
26 сентября вся цивилизованная Европа отмечает Европейский день языков. Наша гимназия также принимает активное участие в этом мероприятии. Присоединяйтесь! Отвечайте на вопросы викторины, приносите ответы учителям английского языка. У Вас всего лишь несколько дней! 26, 27, 28, 29 сентября. Удачи!
Who wants to be the champion?
1.Put these British holidays in order (starting from December):
St.Valentine’s Day, Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, April Fool’s Day
2. Put these Queens and Kings in chronological order:
Elizabeth II, King Henry VIII, Queen Victoria, Elizabeth I
3. The oldest part of London is:
The City, the West End, the East End, the North End
4. Which is the nearest neighbour to Great Britain?
France, Italy, Ireland, Spain
5. The first colonists started the tradition of ;
Halloween, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Memorial Day
6. Your friend has a birthday. What do you say?
How do you do? Many happy returns! Get better! Don’t worry!
7. Who was the youngest elected President in the history of the USA?
Lincoln, Kennedy, Washington, Roosevelt
8. Christopher Columbus discovered:
The United States of America, Central America, South America, North America
9. In Australia winter comes in:
December, January, June, July
10. Hyde Park is in:
The City, the North End, the East End, the West End
A quiz: “What? Where? When?” The theme is “English-speaking countries”
1. What does the word “Albion”, the poetic name of Great Britain, mean?
2. How many bronze lions can you see at the foot of the monument to Admiral Nelson?
3. Who was the first woman Prime Minister in the UK?
4. What is the traditional male costume in Scotland?
5. What is another name of the Houses of Parliament?
6. On what river is Washington situated?
7. What is the nickname of the US government?
8. What was the name of the Australian continent when Cook explored its eastern coast?
9. What domestic animal outnumbers people in Australia?
10. Which of the US Presidents was a Hollywood actor?
11. Where is the Sleeping Beauty’s Castle situated?
12. What is the second name of the Washington memorial?
13. Which of the famous Sherlock Holmes’s stories is named after a horse?
14. What and when is “question time”?
15. Why is the English policeman called “a bobby”?
Are you good at solving riddles? These are not the usual ones.
This is an example for you:
Which is faster, hot or cold?
Answer: Hot’s faster. You can catch a cold.
1. I am an insect, & the first half of my name reveals another insect. Some famous musicians had a name similar to mine. What am I?
2. What building has the most stories?
3. What letter is next in this sequence?
M, A, M, J, J, A, S, O,__
4. What is the best month for a parade?
5. What comes once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years?
6. Pronounced as one letter,
And written with three,
Two letters there are,
And two only in me.
I'm double, I'm single,
I'm black, blue, and gray,
I'm read from both ends,
And the same either way.
What am I?
7. How could a cowboy ride into town on Friday, stay two days, and ride out on Friday?
Try your hand in translation. Translate these quotations into Russian, compose a story to illustrate one of them (100-200 words)
1. How many languages you know – that many times you are a person.
2. If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
3. By words the mind is winged.
4. Language is the means of getting an idea from my brain into yours without surgery.
5. A different language is a different version of life.
6. To have another language is to possess a second soul.
7. Language exerts a hidden power, like the moon on the tides.